Sunday 8 January 2012

"Why do you wear make up?"

A common question I get from a few of my guy friends is "Why don't you leave the house with no make up on?", or, "Why don't I ever see you without any makeup?".

The answer to those questions is that I do leave the house many times without a smudge of make up on, you probably aren't there to see it though; and a majority of the time I spend at home (usually on Skype) I avoid putting any make up on because I like to give my skin a break.

This also relates to a question that I get most often: "WHY do you put makeup on?" and "Why do you like doing dramatic make up?".

I finally decided to write down an answer to that.
When I use make up or cosmetics, I'm not using it in a way to "cover up what God gave me", or any of that. What I try to achieve when doing a look, natural OR dramatic, is to make it look like my own skin (which is why I'm very picky with foundations/powder and how little I use them). I like to "enhance" features.

However, the way I see make up is not a way to "prettify" one's self. Sure, that's an added bonus, but it's not my main reason. I feel just as comfortable walking out of the house with a bare face and running errands.

I know this is going to sound corny, but the way I see make up/cosmetics is more of an art form. It's a way of expressing yourself and your ability to "paint" yourself. I love playing with colours and learning how they work off one another, blending different shades and creating shapes and concepts.

It's not about "wearing too much makeup" (of course, certain situations call for a limit), it's about how I feel that day. It could also mean that I was awake all night playing around with different looks and I just kept one on! It's the fun of discovering new ways to express yourself.

That's what got me into this whole thing. I honestly believe that if you love and appreciate art, you'd chase after it in any form possible. Just as I love to be a makeup artist, I love writing, and photography, dancing...

I'm not at all saying I'm a "trained professional" in any of the above. I trained myself and persued my "passion" for learning more about them all ever since I was a young kid.

When I say I'm a photographer for example, I don't at all want to imply that I'll be able to teach a course on the many inner workings of a DSLR camera or film camera and a dark room; nor that I've taken a course! I do know the way around it, though. I know which light suits a certain situation, what to focus on to bring out the best of a photo, how to shoot something to capture it at a precise point, etc.

On that note, I don't believe you have to be "taught" (as in, with a diploma) to be good at something.
I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I'm confident with cosmetics and how to apply it, but that's because I've been practicing for 12 years.


It's a passion, a hobby that stemmed from my love for anything and everything beautiful and unusual.

The biggest misconception I hear from people is that the idea that someone who wears a lot of make up "tries too hard". Admittedly, there are many people out there who do it for the attention. I'm not going to lie, I do post my looks on social media websites and this blog for example. 

Why? Because:
1- I want to share my ideas.
2- I want to inspire creativity. Whether it's cosmetics, or anything else. 

And to show you it's not just talk, here I am: 5AM in the morning, clean face, writing my blog.

Got the baggy eyes and everything!


Hopefully that cleared up a few things.

Lots of Love, -S xx








No comments:

Post a Comment