Tuesday 24 January 2012

A few things

Over the course of the past two days I've made a few decisions I feel great about.

Yesterday I pledged to go vegetarian/vegan for a month (if not longer).

Technically I was, what you would call, a "flexitarian". A little silly, but you're an almost-vegetarian. You are still just flexible enough to eat meat/fish every now and then.

Not anymore! I've always been aware of what the food industry does to animals, and it's horrible.
Which is why IF I do eat meat, I go for the organic produce. That way I know that the animals were raised and treated fairly.

If you haven't seen any videos or if you don't know what food you're eating I suggest you go to:
PETA.org

or watch FOOD.INC
Food.inc is a documentary all about the food industry and how whatever we buy at the grocery is a vote to what the manufacturers mass produce.
trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

I don't mean to preach, but YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE EATING!
Everything you eat dictates the way your body grows. I mean, think of it, if you give your pet shitty food and pump it full of hormones of course it's going to get sick, and soon!

If you wouldn't do that to your pet, or your family member, why would you want to do that to yourself?

And by the way, just because someone chooses to be vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean you lose out on all the "good stuff". Trust me, I'm picky when it comes to food and this is coming from someone who THOROUGHLY enjoyed steaks.

HOWEVER, my new favorite dish is something I came up with a while back while tinkering in the kitchen :

Couscous with onions, garlic, and mushrooms stuffed into tomatoes and steamed.
Oh, deary me. Really, I'm making it as a side dish for a dinner party I'll be holding soon and I'll report back to how they all liked it :)

here's a picture of it
 It may not look like the most appealing thing, but trust me, the flavors are magnifique!

Enough boasting..
My point is is that vegetarian food doesn't at all have to be bland or boring.

And another plus side is that you automatically make healthier food choices, so weight loss is almost a garuntee!

The other choice I made is a something I pledged to do a while back.
Quitting smoking: probably the best thing I've done.
Honestly, this is coming from someone who used to really smoke. A lot.

And don't get me wrong, I didn't quit cold turkey either. I've done that and just fell right back onto the wagon.
I took about a month to get used to the idea that after December 31st, I wasn't going to have a ciggarette.
Once I got the idea stuck in my head, I found myself smoking a lot less than what I was used to.

Now, I pass by smokers on the street and crinkle my nose at the smell (was that really what that cloud of smoke surrounding me smelled like?!) gah!

Realistically though, I know I might have a drag off of someone or maybe a social cig once in a blue moon, but I'm going to try not to.

It became almost like an "I've gotten this far, I don't want to screw up now!" kind of thing. Competition with myself, you could say.

Anyway, I mentioned I'll be busy with exams for the next week or so. I'll update with a beauty-related post ASAP.

Lots of love,
-S xx

No comments:

Post a Comment