Wednesday 30 November 2011

Recycled curls?

Now that winter is settling in, we tend to use way too much heat on our hair.
Leaving the house with damp locks is completely out of the question. Especially for those who live in or around Europe where the temp is dropping down down down!

Lately I've been blowdrying my hair after every shower. That means about 45 mins of hot air every day! It's taken a big toll on my hair, causing oilyness, itchy scalps, and split ends.
(img from google.com)

Thankfully, there are ways to style your hair WITHOUT heat while at the same time RECYCLING!

Yup, smack me on the bum and call me Sally, it's true.

This technique is really good for those who want to curl their hair naturally without damaging it with too much heat, while at the same time using up those paper bags you have piled up in your bottom kitchen drawer.

Since I want a bit of a change from the usual straightened hair, I'm going to show you how I used the paper bag technique to get soft bouncy curls without the use of a curling iron.

Not to mention, the idea of any heat/steam kinda puts me off since I just recently got a nasty burn on my left arm from a bad cooking incident:

Yup. It's slowly getting better. I'm slathering it with aloe vera. Ick.

ANYWHO. I'm going to start off by tearing (or cutting) up some paper bags. I had an old Zara bag that did just fine:


Just about an inch thick and a few inches lengwise should be fine.

The thickness of the paper basically determines the curl style (wavy or tight curls).
Your hair should be DAMP, not wet, otherwise the paper will just disintegrate and become useless.

[Quick note: My mom just walked past and asked me what I was doing. "Heatless curls, mom" I said.
"HITLER'S CURLS?!" she replied. Needless to say, that gave us a good laugh!]
.
.
.
.
.
I just finished tying up all of my hair. Took me about 50 minutes (I have medium/short and long hair in layers) 


                                   ^^^^ View from the top ^^^^


Once you've done that, you have to wait at least 4-6 hours (or just overnight like I'm doing it) for your hair to completely dry and form into the curls.

IF you're in a hurry, just use your hair dryer on a VERY LOW heat setting, or on cold blast, and dry up your locks.

Once they're dry and ready to be taken off, CAREFULLY untie them and roll downwards.
Apply a serum or mousse to plump up and style the curls to your liking.

I'll be uploading the pics to my curled hair in about 5 hours (when I'll be getting ready for uni) so you can see the finished result.

Let me know if you have any techniques that recycle household items for your beauty regime.

Lots of love and quiches
xx S

No comments:

Post a Comment